The Week of May 5, 2019 is Small Business Week!
You should protect your personal and financial data from criminals. Thieves use your data to file bogus tax returns and commit crimes while impersonating you.
Follow these steps to protect yourself and your data.
Keep a secure computer.
- Don’t leave personal information; lying around.
- Give personal information only over encrypted and trusted websites.
- Use strong passwords and protect them.
Avoid phishing and malware.
- Verify contact information about companies or agencies by going directly to their website.
- Think twice before opening email attachments.
- Don’t automatically download attachments.
- Download and install software only from known and trusted websites.
Protect personal information.
- Forward IRS-related scam emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Report IRS impersonation telephone calls at www.tigta.gov.