The IRS continues to urge taxpayers who haven’t yet done a “Paycheck Checkup” to do one as soon as possible to see if they’re having their employer withhold the right amount of tax after major changes in the tax law. The IRS Withholding Calculator can help taxpayers learn if they need to make changes soon to avoid an unwelcome surprise come tax time.
During the week of Aug. 13, the IRS is focusing on some groups of taxpayers who should especially check their withholding.
Please help us get the word out — the earlier people check and adjust their withholding, the more time there is for withholding to take place evenly during the rest of the year.
Information for you:
- Tax professionals and industry partners can learn more at an IRS web conference, Understanding How to Conduct a Paycheck Checkup, offered Aug. 15 and 16 in English and Spanish.
Information to share with your members, clients or employees through your website, emails, newsletters or other channels:
News releases, Tax Reform Tax Tips and drop-in articles. These products are attached to this message, many of them in Spanish. News releases will be available on our Tax Reform News page as they’re issued this week. Tax tips and drop-ins will be on the Tax Reform Resources page as they’re issued.
Monday: Taxpayers who got a big refund in 2018 (news release, tax tip, drop-in)
Tuesday: Taxpayers with high income or complex return (news release, tax tip, drop-in)
Wednesday: Taxpayers who support dependents who can’t be claimed for the Child Tax Credit (news release, tax tip, drop-in)
Thursday: Taxpayers with children, other dependents (news release, tax tip, drop-in)
Friday: How to file a new Form W-4 (tax tip)
- A new one-page flier. Publication 5303, Paycheck Checkup, is attached in English and Spanish. The flier is also on our Resources page.
- Social media
- Several social media images, GIFs and tweets are attached for you to use on your own social media accounts.
- Retweet #PaycheckCheckup info and more from the IRS’s Twitter accounts:
- @IRSnews – IRS news and tips for the public
- @IRStaxpros – IRS information for tax professionals
- @IRSenEspanol – IRS news and tips in Spanish
- YouTube videos
- How to Use the Withholding Calculator for Paycheck Checkup: English
- Paycheck Checkup: English | Spanish| ASL
- IRS Withholding Calculator Tips: English | Spanish
- Do I Need to Fill Out a New W-4?: English | Spanish | ASL
Other resources and general information
- Bookmark the IRS’s Tax Reform page on IRS.gov for the latest on tax reform topics.
- You can subscribe now to IRS Tax Tips to get the IRS’s Tax Reform Tax Tips.
Thank you for your consideration and continued partnership.