Tax reform changes to depreciation deduction affect farmers
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act changes how farmers and ranchers depreciate their business property.
Here are changes to depreciation that affect farmers:
- New equipment and machinery is five-year property.
- Used equipment remains seven-year property.
- Property placed in service after Dec. 31, 2017, is not required to use the 150-percent declining balance method.
- New and certain used equipment purchased during the tax year qualifies for 100 percent first-year bonus depreciation.
- Businesses that elect out of the interest deduction limit must use the alternative depreciation system to depreciate any property with a recovery period of 10 years or more.